Sunday, October 26, 2008

Essay #1 Reflection

---While writing about Bacon's Rebellion, I learned a lot more about the subject then I ever did just reading the story. When reading, sometimes we often just read to get it done. But when we are reading to find information, we dig deeper to find that perfect quote or summary of our thoughts. This "digging" results in a collection of knowledge about the topic. I was able to relate this information to a modern example of rebellion: 9/11. I found the writing process very helpful and useful. I now see why it is so important to write more that just one draft. You are able to look back and see what changes you have made and what changes need to be made.

---One MAJOR thing that I learned through this writing process was to NOT write my introduction first! I honestly never knew h0w helpful this was, or to even do it. Writing an outline first was also very helpful. Although, the only thing it helped me do was get started. Getting started is always the hardest part for me and it takes a a very long thinking process. The outline helped me get some ideas and topics but I didn't really really use them in the same order. When writing about history, on of the most important thing to do is to annotate. Annotating gets your "I say" going and also aids you in the process of starting a thesis. The next paper will be SO much easier because now I know exactly what to do and how to do it.

---When I glance back at "My Writing Philosophy", I see that the way I wrote my essay refers back to this. I do in fact tend to keep my writing simple and some might say it's too "vague". But no matter what grade I get on this assignment, I will still be pleased with my own work and motivation. I feel well accomplished with my piece of writing and feel that I did a great job on completing it.

No comments: