Thursday, October 9, 2008

College Fair

Leah Vickers
10/6/08
College 100

NATIONAL COLLEGE FAIR WORKSHEET/ASSIGNMENT

1)
A public college: The University of Washington, Tacoma. There is great diversity at this college, but sadly they do not a have an interior design program for me.

A private college: Gonzaga University is a private, Catholic college located in Spokane Washington. I found it interesting that they have an average class size of only 23. That is very small for college. They do have an art program, but nothing with interior design.

A rural college: A rural college would be one like the University of Wyoming. They seem to have a smaller campus and less options than most colleges. The only reason why I looked at this one is because I have some family in Wyoming.

A traditional large university: A large University might be one like the University of Washington. They are a college mostly for people who want to go into the field of medicine.

A small alternative college: I don’t really know the meaning of a small “alternative” college. But I am guess something like the Aveda Institute in Seattle since they aren’t a traditional college. They are more of an educational cosmetology school. It looks like a great career opportunity to me. Most positions in the field receive average salaries in the $35,000-$50,000 per year range.

2)
One major that I am particularly interested in is interior and industrial design. The colleges that I found with extraordinary programs in this area were Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design in Colorado, The University of the Arts in Philadelphia, and The Art Institute of Seattle. The Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design really impressed me with their program. They handed me a brochure specifically about their interior design program and what it has to offer. They have small class sizes and a great “green design” program all about creating environments that enhance health. Half of the entire school is involved in interior design.
What I liked about The University of the Arts was the fact that they have many different art programs; which is good if I decide to change my mind on my major. They also have a list of the many success stories of the people who have attended. They went on to be in TV shows and some became famous singers.
I mostly liked The Art Institute of Seattle because it is a lot closer to home and they have great interior and industrial design programs. They have about 41 locations in the US and seem to be a great successful school.

3)
I attended one workshop at the College Fair and found it to be pretty much common sense. It was all about financing your education and ways to get scholarships and such. It was mostly facts and numbers. I eventually got too bored of it and left.

4)
Altogether the College Fair was a pretty overwhelming experience, but I’m glad that I went for I know I would regret it if I did not. I never knew that so many colleges existed! I like the fact that there are so many options with career choices. The only question I would like answered is if there are any other types of college fairs in the area around this time of year. I really wish we had more time at the fair since I didn’t even get a chance to really explore all the other colleges and majors.
The next thing to do now is to get in contact with the colleges and ask more questions about them. I need to do more self-evaluating and decide what I want to major in so I can decide on a college.

No comments: