Monday, December 8, 2008

Reflective Letter (Draft)

Leah Vickers

Reflective Letter

12/6/2008

Throughout the development of my writing process while taking Writing 101, I have noticed my strengths and drawn attention to my weaknesses. There are certain things that I never knew about when it comes to writing. For instance: writing a correct outline before drafting a paper comes in very handy. I honestly had never written an outline for a paper before; this is one aspect of writing that I will carry with me. One major thing that I learned while writing one of my essays was not to write an introduction to a paper first thing. Obviously you cannot introduce something if you don’t quite know what that something is. I learned that it is wise to do all of the research first, make the outline, draft the body of the paper, then go back and write the introduction so you can touch on all of the main subjects.

To be honest, writing has always been one of my weaknesses. Although I have always been told by my parents and my brother that I am a good writer, the grades on my papers disagree. I struggle to demonstrate my thoughts in an understandable way that makes sense to others and not just myself. I work hard on constructing a great essay, but my efforts go unnoticed when my topics don’t flow or my points aren’t even relevant. I have developed a fear of writing when it comes to essays. When I receive the assignment I usually procrastinate. This is something that I have been struggling with for a while and one of the things that still needs to change before my next writing assignment arrives. I already have a plan that will help prevent procrastination from happening: instead of stressing about what to do or how to start, I will contact my instructor to receive assistance. This will be one great leap for me; I know it seems small, but it will definitely help me.

Aside from the negative, one positive strength that I have developed is my ability to make a sentence flow into the next paragraph. I was struggling with this on my first essay, but as I progressed, my second essay A Loyal Citizen to the Crown of Europe; New York 1777, turned out to be much improved.

3 comments:

JessicaAckerman said...

I think that you have a good introduction into what you will be talking about in your reflection, for me as the reader, it is clear. You show honesty about your strengths and weaknesses, which is good and your reflection is very personal also. I might add a little bit more, in the end, about your strengths, just to make the ending come to a nice conclusion and on a, bigger, positive note. Overall I think that you did a great job!

JessicaAckerman said...

Also, put quotes from your essay's in that you will use in your portfolio, into you reflection.

Unknown said...

I like how you start the essay its very easy to understand where you are going.

- I think if you go into your essay descriptions ie. strengths and weakness it will over all be a good intro to your portfolio.