Thursday, December 11, 2008

Portfolio: Final Exam (Frame II)

In this short passage, I completely understand where the writer is coming from and I can connect with the voice. I feel the same way in which they display their feelings so strongly about the writing process. What is in our minds alone might become bleak when writing a paper. If we come to a stopping point and can't pull up any information at all, it is always best to get feedback from peers. While reading this little blurb I immediately felt that the writer was speaking from my own point of view. I share the same principles of writing, right down to a T.

The way the writer exclaims, "Of course, the writing process can be greatly improved if students have a group of peers with whom they can share their writing. Otherwise it is quite possible to feel unaccountable for practicing, not only to mention being stifled in various stages", I can really feel the passion in the writers voice and understand the meaning of what they are trying to convey. The word usage "being stifled in various stages" could mean many things to the writer, but to me, it depicts a person, so bound and so mentally asphyxiated with writing that their only way out of this suffocating tie that is holding them to writing is getting another opinion.

It is evident in my own writing experience that it’s much easier to keep writing about one subject if you have someone else who may be able to give you ideas. Just the person saying that one specific word that was needed in the next sentence can spark an array of activities in the brain and keep one writing on and on. My own mother is good for that. If I ever get stuck on writing I simply tell her what I am writing about and she automatically starts rambling about anything she can think of that is on that subject. I often have to say “Ok, stop! Stop!” because one phrase leads me to another subject, and another. For example, while I was writing my reflective letter, I couldn’t figure out how to say what I wanted about the They Say/I Say book so I asked my friend Yelena what she thought of the book. What she said completely ignited my thoughts and made my sentence flow beautifully.

The quote that the writer included could not have been more perfect with the connection of the topic. It brilliantly reflected their views on writing and summed up the first sentence for them. For example, “If you are stuck writing or trying to figure something out, there is nothing better than finding one person, or more, to talk to” connects directly back to what the writer was saying when he stated “the writing process can be greatly improved if students have a group of peers with whom they can share their writing.” Sharing my writing has always helped me complete my essays and papers effectively. One can see what they are doing wrong and what they are doing right. Sometimes when writing, one may not notice errors or misunderstandings in their papers. To me and also to the writer, peer review will always be a helpful tool and “highlight the interactive nature of creativity.”

No comments: