Tuesday, September 23, 2008

PSEC Application Essay

Leah Vickers
9/10/08
Application Essay

When I was very young, possibly ten or eleven years old, I dreamed of growing up fast and doing adult things. My mom always said I was different than anyone my own age and that I was very mature. I always wanted to do everything. When I had to make a choice between piano lessons or swimming lessons I was torn apart. I ended up doing both and was quite happy about it. I not only learned how to swim quite well but it gave me musical experiences that lead me from piano for three years and on to the guitar since 2004.

Now at the age of sixteen I am a volunteer at my church, I help greet, I sing on our worship team, I lead our youth worship by singing and playing my guitar, I played Anne Frank in a play and Mary in our Christmas play, I help with childcare, and I was formerly a part of an elderly group at our church called “The Grands”. I haven’t had any interests in getting a summer job because I like to have time to do other things. I make extra money by babysitting, which is helping people, but I also benefit from it. My desire to help out in any way I can has built a great relationship between myself and a lady at my church named Zoe. She lives in Renton and has lost family members and needs help around her house because she has painful arthritis. I go over once a week and do her dishes, clean and organize whatever she needs me to. She has become a close friend and we realize that we both have much in common.

All of these things require motivation. Volunteer work can get tiring, but I have to remember what I am working for. I am not doing it for myself, or for any personal reason, I’m doing it for the community and for God. Even though it can get stressful at times, I have always enjoyed being very busy. I hope that my skills can be put to good use at PSEC and that I am able to help in any way I can. My future depends on how much I put forth, and I plan on using all of my efforts by giving 110%!

No comments: